Web Directions Unplugged 2011, Seattle, May 13th 10:30am.
In the absence of a “Widgets for Dummies” book being available at your local bookstore, this presentation will try to bring you up-to-speed with what you need to know to start developing widgets.
Split into two parts, we’ll cover the theory behind widgets:
- seriously, yet another platform to code for?! – vendor and manufacturer support for widgets & compatible development frameworks
- what widgets are good for – save your users (and yourself) time, money and frustration
- what widgets are not-so-good for – they’re not a silver bullet!
and widgets in practice:
- widgets and device compatibility – the good news is also potential bad news
- screen sizes – resizing and its headaches
- widget distribution and making money – everybody else is doing it, so why can’t we?
You’ll get most out of this talk if you:
- have heard of widgets but don’t know how to use them
- are wondering whether widgets could solve a particular problem you have. (i.e. no specific browser)
- have tried making widgets but got stuck and gave up
About Daniel Davis
Follow Daniel on Twitter: @ourmaninjapan