August de los Reyes — Predicting the past
Web Directions South 2008, Sydney Convention Centre, September 25 4.05pm.
A new inflection point in human-computer interaction is upon us. Along with other technologies, Microsoft Surface marks a departure from graphical user interface or GUI into the world of Natural User Interface or NUI. This talk begins with discussion of emotional design and its importance in the future of society. The lens shifts to how one design team is thinking about designing for a new era in which emotional intent and intuitive interaction are the imperative. Using theoretical models drawn from a mix of history, science, philosophy, and even video game design, this presentation reveals principles behind experience design for Microsoft Surface and beyond.
About August de los Reyes
August de los Reyes is the Principal Design Director for Microsoft Surface. August applies his research work in emotion and design to shipping products at Microsoft. August is a graduate of the Advanced Studies Program at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design. He was a 2007–2008 Visiting Associate at the Oxford Internet Institute at the University of Oxford. As a guest faculty member at the University of Washington, he will lead the graduate seminar in design this winter. He is currently writing his next book, entitled The Poetics of Everyday Objects.
- Oliver Weidlich - The mobile web user experience - we're starting to get it right!
- Brian Fling - Six rules to designing amazing mobile apps
- Aaron Weyenberg - Getting Real: Pros and Pitfalls of Realistic UI Design
- Teale Shapcott - From ordered to managed usability in an Agile environment
- Paula Bray - Connected digital initiatives and strategies