Closing keynote: Hilary Mason — Machine Learning for Web Data
Web Directions USA 2010, Loews Atlanta Hotel, September 24 3.15pm.
Many of us create and work with data that lives on the web. This kind of data has similar characteristics that makes it possible to learn successful techniques and avoid ‘reinventing the wheel’ for analysis.
In this talk, I’ll give a brief history of the field with a focus on the fundamental math and algorithmic tools that we use to address these kinds of problems, then walk through several descriptive and predictive scenarios. We’ll also discuss the likely future evolution of this type of data and the active research problems that are currently fascinating.
About Hilary Mason
Follow Hilary on Twitter: @hmason
- Barely Succeed! It's Easier! - video presentation by Maciej Cegłowski
- Adam Bell & David Peterson - Bringing History Alive: Telling stories with Linked Data and open source tools
- How does your app affect the UX of everyone else in the world?
- Daniel Burka - Changing successfully: Adapting your interface over time
- Josh Williams - Keynote: Where are we going?