Jason Ryan – Govt 2.0: the public management challenge
A presentation given at Web Directions User Experience, Old Parliament House, Canberra, May 19 2008.
Technology changes present complex challenges and rich opportunities for senior public sector managers. Finding the balance between innovation and risk management is not easy in an environment where successful engagement depends upon relinquishing control. Using examples from New Zealand’s experience, Jason will share lessons and observations about the inevitable growing pains of public sector agencies as they evolve towards Govt 2.0.
About Jason Ryan
Jason Ryan is the Communications Manager at the State Services Commission, the New Zealand Government’s lead advisor on the public management system. He is also a public sector blogger and an advocate for the transformation of public sector communications through the use of social media. Jason wrote the Principles for Public Sector Social Media, a set of guidelines for New Zealand government agencies wanting to use Web 2.0 communication tools to better engage with their publics.
- Dave Greiner and Ben Richardson - The story of Campaign Monitor
- Martin Tomitsch - Using the world as a canvas
- Tom Coates - Opening keynote: A New Network
- Laurel Papworth - Social networks and mobiles
- Jason Grigsby - Keynote: Native is Easy. Mobile Web is Freaking Hard!